If you read my previous post you’ll know that topical Green Tea could easily be consider the most important topical ingredient you can use to help clear acne. Studies have shown that Green Tea can cut sebum production by up to 60% and reduce acne count by 57%! Pretty impressive, huh? That’s why I’ve decided to share a recipe to make your own MSM & Green Tea Toner to clear acne and fade scars/hyperpigmentation.
If you’ve missed out on my Green Tea post and want to know the full story, click this link here!
homemade msm & green tea toner for acne breakouts
The studies that found topical Green Tea to be effective against acne all used a high concentration of Green Tea (2-3%) and it’s practically impossible to find beauty products with this high amount of Green Tea extract in it! So, I decided to make my own product which contains not only Green Tea, but a whole load of other acne fighting ingredients!
aloe vera for acne scarring
Aloe Vera is an excellent skin healer an amazing moisturiser that helps to hydrate the skin and keep it soft. Aloe vera has the ability to penetrate deeply into the skin to reduce inflammation and promote healing of acne scars.
msm for acne scarring
MSM is an excellent source of natural sulphur and there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest that MSM can help improve acne scars. Sulphur is vital for healthy, plump skin as it aids in the development of collagen and keratin. You can take MSM internally and topically for acne scars, but it is thought that topical application of MSM is more effective on scars as it targets the specific area. To take it internally you simple mix it with your favourite smoothie or juice but do start off with a small amount and work your way up to 1tsp a day as it’s quite a powerful detoxifier so may give you a detox reaction if you use too much too soon!
vitamin b3 powder for acne healing
Vitamin B3 targets both acne and acne scarring and pigmentation! It has been proven to reduce inflammation in various scientific studies and one 8 week study discovered that a 4% B3 lotion reduced acne by 60% compared to just a 43% improvement in the subjects who used a 1% antibiotic gel (clindamycin). Another study showed topical B3 was very effective at reducing hyperpigmentation as it blocks the build up of melanin in the surface of the skin.
Read more about vitamin B3 here.
Ok, so here’s your shopping list for the ultimate acne fighting toner:
- Aloe Vera – I buy this one, it’s liquid form so works brilliantly as a spray!
- Vitamin B3 Powder – I buy this one from a UK stockist but it’s pretty easy to find internationally
- MSM Powder – Pretty easy to buy, just make sure you buy ones that 100% pure!
- Alcohol Free Green Tea Extract – the ingredients on this one are just Green Tea Extract, purified water and glycerin so is the best one for use on the skin – unlike most extracts that are distilled in alcohol. I couldn’t find any other brands that were suitable but at least it’s available on iHerb so everyone can purchase it!
- 30ml glass spray bottle – I choose smaller size bottles as it’s better to make fresh batches every 7-10 days to prevent bacteria overgrowth and spoilage.
Not much to it right? But these 4 ingredients are all super effective acne fighters with scientific proof to back it up! Check out the full recipe details below to see what quantities of each you need. Remember – don’t need to add all the ingredients if you don’t want to – you can just pop 28 drops of Green Tea Extract into your bottle and fill the rest up with Aloe Vera, but the addition of B3 and MSM will also have a really positive effect on your skin. Also, once you buy the MSM, Green Tea and B3 they’ll last you MONTHS if you take care of them and keep them dry, away from sunlight!
how to use your msm & green tea toner
It’s completely up to you! I recommend using it twice a day as part of your morning and evening skin care routine but you can also spritz if over your face when your skin needs a little pick me up during the day. I spritz this and massage it into my skin after I’ve cleanse and before I apply a serum, moisturiser or oil.
Let me know if you give this MSM & Green Tea Toner a try and keep me updated if you find it helps with acne and acne scarring!
Peace, Love & Clear Skin
- 30ml Glass Spray Bottle
- Aloe Vera
- 28 drops Green Tea Extract
- 1/2 tsp MSM Powder
- 1/4 tsp Topical Vitamin B3
- Add the Green Tea extract, MSM powder, Vitamin B3 and small amount of Aloe Vera to a small mixing bowl and mix together
- Transfer the mixture into a 30ml spray bottle (you may need to use a funnel or dropper)
- Add more Aloe Vera till the 30ml bottle is filled
- Secure the spray top and shake the mixture to blend
- Keep in the fridge and use within 7-10 days
- As 30ml bottles often have quite small necks you may need a small funnel or dropper to transfer the mixture into the bottle.